Oregon Wildfire Recovery



Resources & Contacts

A list of resources, financial & technical assistance, and health services to help communities recover and rebuild in the aftermath of the 2020 Oregon wildfires.

Stay Up-to-Date on the Latest

Check out the latest news, webinars, and information opportunities for wildfire relief.

Check out the Latest News

Latest News

Willamette Partnership is collating this list of resources for Oregon communities that have been impacted by wildfires. Our goal is to support our partners’ efforts to rebuild more resilient, sustainable, and equitable communities.

To share additional information or suggest updates or corrections, please contact Emily Irish at irish@willamettepartnership.org.


Oregon Wildfire Resources

The state has a website with links to data, information, and resources on the status of the wildfires, emergency response efforts, and resources for citizens, local governments, and organizations. This is not specific to natural resources management but has important and useful information in a centralized location. https://wildfire.oregon.gov/


InfrastructureNext is a collaboration between Willamette Partnership and the Center for Sustainable Infrastructure. This project provides technical assistance to Oregon and Washington communities facing water and other infrastructure challenges. The InfraNext team works with communities to co-create more sustainable, resilient, and equitable infrastructure solutions. Our technical assistance can help:

  • Build a shared vision for meeting infrastructure needs, 
  • Explore infrastructure approaches that provide multiple community benefits, often at lower cost
  • Simplify access to the resources that communities need to design, build, and maintain sustainable infrastructure.

Kristiana Teige Witherill


Oregon Department of Agriculture

ODA has collated resources for landowners related to preventing erosion on lands affected by wildfire. This 2-pager describes how to seed for erosion control post-fire and has links to a number of agency contacts. 

Sourcing Oregon-Grown/Native Seed

Information about sourcing Oregon-grown grass seed:

Information about avoiding noxious weeds:

  1. ODA recommends avoiding the introduction of noxious weeds during re-seeding; look at the blue tag on bags of seed for noxious weed presence. Purchase products that show no noxious weed presence.  
  2. ODA recommends procuring wholesale seed to include a request for the All-States Noxious Weed Test.
  3. Straw mulch is also available from Oregon grass seed fields. Either look for certified weed-free straw or look for straw baled from Oregon grass seed fields.

For more or more detailed information on sources of seed, site preparation, seeding rates and mixes, and fertilizer and mulching, contact your local Soil and Water Conservation District, OSU Extension office, or Oregon Department of Forestry office.

Additional Resources

Points of Contact

Find your local Soil and Water Conservation District: https://oda.direct/SWCD

Find your local watershed council: https://www.oregon.gov/oweb/resources/Pages/Watershed-Councils.aspx

Find your local OSU Extension office: https://oda.fyi/FindExtension

For wholesale suppliers of seed, visit the Oregon Ryegrass Commission website: https://www.ryegrass.com/

Engineering Expertise

Listing is on request and does not imply Willamette Partnership’s recommendation.

Free Building Consultation Services

Structural Waterproofing Consultants is offering their building consultation services free of charge to those who have had their homes or other buildings significantly damaged or lost in the fires.

For More Information Contact
Peggy Wallace
Operations Manager


FEMA BRIC Grant Program

  • BRIC (Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities) is an update of FEMA’s Pre-Disaster Mitigation program with an emphasis on hazard mitigation projects that use nature-based solutions and watershed approaches.
  • State has $1million guaranteed budget for projects
  • Another $450 million is available through a nationwide competitive grant program
  • 25% local match requirement (cash or in kind)
  • Pre-applications are due September 25th. If you need the pre-application or have any questions, contact Oregon’s State Hazard Mitigation Officer Amie Bashant at shmo@mil.state.or.us

FEMA Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP)

  • FEMA’s Hazard Mitigation Grant Program provides funding to state, local, tribal and territorial governments so they can rebuild in a way that reduces, or mitigates, future disaster losses in their communities. This grant funding is available after a presidentially declared disaster.
  • Regulations require state, local, tribal and territorial governments to submit a letter of intent to FEMA within 30 days after a disaster declaration that notifies FEMA whether they will or won’t participate in the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program. 
  • Oregon Office of Emergency Management has submitted the letter of intent and is awaiting further information from FEMA. State guidance will be coming soon.
  • Contact Oregon’s State Hazard Mitigation Officer Amie Bashant at shmo@mil.state.or.us to schedule a phone call to further discuss funding options.

FEMA Fire Management Assistant Grants

  • Fire Management Assistance is available to states, local and tribal governments, for the mitigation, management, and control of fires on publicly or privately owned forests or grasslands, which threaten such destruction as would constitute a major disaster.
  • Oregon has Fire Management Assistance Grants available under HMGP-PF-FM-5327 and the Office of Emergency Management is developing guidance for applicants. 
  • Contact Oregon’s State Hazard Mitigation Officer Amie Bashant at shmo@mil.state.or.us with questions.

FEMA Public Assistance Grants

  • FEMA’s Public Assistance Program provides supplemental grants to state, tribal, territorial, and local governments, and certain types of private non-profits so that communities can quickly respond to and recover from major disasters or emergencies.
  • FEMA’s Public Assistance program is available to Benton, Clackamas, Columbia, Coos, Deschutes, Douglas, Jackson, Jefferson, Josephine, Klamath, Lake, Lane, Lincoln, Linn, Marion, Multnomah, Tillamook, Wasco, Washington, and Yamhill counties.
  • 25% local match requirement (cash or in kind)

FEMA Region 10 (Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, Washington) Contacts

General: 425-487-4600

Technological Hazards
Janet Hlavaty-LaPosa

Tribal Affairs Liaison
Erin Ward


FEMA Public assistance, FEMA Mitigation, and FEMA Civil Rights Webinar September 30

Informational Webinars have been offered to Emergency Managers, Community Leaders, and Elected Officials interested in helping their neighbors recover from this and future disasters.  You will learn how the FEMA process works, how you can help, and where to find additional resources to assist survivors.

Register at https://bit.ly/3hMiYWP. A phone number will be visible for audio purposes once you’ve entered the session.

Informational Handout

Farm Services Agency Disaster Assistance Programs

USDA offers a variety of programs and services to help communities, farmers, ranchers, and businesses that have been hard hit by the 2020 wildfires. This 4-page document provides a good overview of the programs. 

Depending on the operation, these disaster assistance programs can help offset eligible losses:

Contact your local FSA State and County Office to discuss which program may best suit your needs.

Oregon Farm Service Agency State and County Office Contacts

The Farm Service Agency (FSA) is a federal agency of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.  It administers farm commodity, disaster, and conservation programs for farmers and ranchers, and makes and guarantees farm emergency, ownership, and operating loans through a network of state and county offices.

FSA Oregon State Office: 503-692-3688
Deschutes/Jefferson/Crook FSA County Office: 541-923-4358, x2
Clackamas/Multnomah FSA County Office: 503-655-3144, x2
Douglas/Jackson/Josephine FSA County Office: 541-673-6071, x2
Klamath Falls FSA County Office: 541-883-6924, x2
Lake FSA County Office: 541-947-2367, x2
Lane County Office: 541-465-6443, x2
Linn/Benton/Lincoln FSA County Office: 541-967-5925, x2
Malheur FSA County Office: 541-889-9689, x2
Marion/Polk FSA County Office: 503-399-5741, x2
Wasco/Hood River FSA County Office: 541-298-8559. X2
Washington/Clatsop/Columbia/Tillamook FSA County Offices: 503-648-3174, x2
Yamhill FSA County Offices: 503-472-1474, x2

New USDA Press Release on Disaster Assistance

Oregon agricultural and forestry operations have been significantly impacted by the wildfires, and the USDA has technical and financial assistance available to help farmers, livestock producers, and private forest landowners recover.  This press release describes some of the information that is found below but is the most up to date communications from USDA.

USDA Environmental Quality Incentive Program (EQIP)

The USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service announced funding is available through the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) for those impacted by Oregon’s recent wildfires. Application deadlines are October 30 and December 30, 2020.

Through EQIP, Oregon Wildfire Emergency Stabilization funding will support the immediate response to the recent catastrophic fires by addressing degraded plant conditions, wind and water erosion, and loss of sediment, nutrient, and pathogens.

  • EQIP can be used to provide resource protection for areas burned by catastrophic fires. Benefits include preventing soil erosion, minimizing the spread of noxious and invasive plants, revegetating burned areas, removing excess dead vegetation, protecting water quality, and restoring livestock infrastructure necessary for grazing management.
  • The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is the lead federal agency for Presidentially declared natural disasters. All NRCS emergency work is coordinated with FEMA or its designee. Sponsors must submit a formal request (via mail or email) to the state conservationist for assistance within 60 days of the natural disaster occurrence or 60 days from the date when access to the sites become available
  • For more information, please contact Molly Dawson at molly.dawson@usda.gov, (503) 414-3234 or Mary Beth Smith at mary.beth.smith@usda.gov, (503)414-3283

USDA Emergency Watershed Program (EWP)

Oregon USDA Service Centers

USDA Service Centers are designed to be a single location where customers can access the services provided by the Farm Service Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, and the Rural Development agencies. This website will provide the address of a USDA Service Center and other Agency offices serving your area along with information on how to contact them.

Clean Water State Revolving Fund (CWSRF)

While DEQ’s Clean Water State Revolving Fund cannot provide immediate funding following a disaster, the program offers the most affordable loans to eligible public agencies to finance planning, design and construction to rebuild or upgrade wastewater and stormwater systems. In addition, CWSRF offers:

  • Technical assistance to help communities determine project options
  • Interim financing for pending federal funding
  • Match funding for federal grants
  • Co-funding
  • Up to $500,000 principal forgiveness per eligible project
  • Loans for post-disaster repair, source water protection and emergency preparedness, as well as more traditional waste/stormwater facility projects.
  • 5, 10, 15, 20, and 30-year loan terms
  • Below-market interest rates

Submit a Clean Water Project Assistance information request or call 503-229-LOAN to learn how we can help.

Drinking Water State Revolving Fund (DWSRF)

  • Low-interest loan fund for project planning, design, and construction
  • Sustainable Infrastructure Planning Projects can receive up to $20,000 per project in loan forgiveness
  • Source Water Protection grants of up to $30,000 available 
  • Contact the Business Oregon Regional Development Officer (RDO) for your county to discuss the best drinking water funding options for infrastructure improvements that meet your specific and immediate needs. 
  • The Drinking Water program Circuit Rider is also available to help prepare DWSRF Letter of Intent (LOI) documents and to provide short-term technical assistance with operational issues.
  • In emergency situations, eligible projects can be expedited through the project review and rating process. If your system has an urgent SWP matter that may need immediate attention, contact Tom Pattee, Groundwater Coordinator/SWP, at tom.pattee@state.or.us or 541-726-2587 ext. 24.

Federal Disaster Assistance for Individuals and Businesses

Individuals and business owners who sustained losses in Clackamas, Douglas, Jackson, Klamath, Lane, Lincoln, Linn, and Marion counties can begin applying for assistance by registering online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov or by calling 1-800-621-3362 or 1-800-462-7585 TTY. Affected Oregonians are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.

Office of Emergency Management

The Oregon Office of Emergency Management is a division of the Oregon Military Department.

 The office coordinates and maintains a statewide emergency services system for emergency and disaster communications. OEM is made up of four Sections: Director’s Office, Technology and Response, Operations and Preparedness, and Mitigation and Recovery Services. 

Local and Tribal Emergency Managers Contact List (updated Sep 1, 2020)

Oregon Department of Forestry

The Oregon Dept. of Forestry employs local stewardship foresters that offer free technical assistance to private forest landowners and small woodland owners. This link will take you to a map where you can find contact information for the specific stewardship forester in your area:

US Forest Service

The Cooperative Forestry unit of the USDA Forest Service works closely with partners to enhance and maintain forests across watersheds and ecosystems, both on private and public land, for the benefits they provide to the American people. Cooperative Forestry delivers its work through states, local governments, other federal agencies, non-profit organizations, and other partners leveraging additional resources and fueling innovation.  This link takes you to a page with an overview of the various programs offered by USFS:


NRCS After the Fire Technical Recommendations for Recovery

Information to help inform you about new hazards that may have been created as a result of fire and programs that can help.

Visit the Oregon Department of Forestry’s Help After a Wildfire page


Visit Oregon State University’s After a Wildfire page



Oregon Housing and Community Services’ Wildfire Damage Rapid Relief Program

Oregonians have until May 31st to apply for assistance of up to $6,500 per household through Oregon Housing and Community Services.


Chiloquin and Two Four Two Fire Relief


County Resources for Wildfire Response

A list by Oregon county with links to Offices of Emergency Management, Donations & Needs, Evacuation & Shelter Sites, Pet/Livestock Help, and Emergency Alerts

Oregon Community Foundation List of Local and Regional Wildfire Emergency Relief

Support local organizations responding with shelter, food, and other emergency services and serving people of color and other disproportionately impacted communities. Includes statewide and local resources for Chiloquin and Klamath County, Clackamas County Communities, Glide and Roseburg Areas (Douglas County), Jackson County (Ashland, Butte Falls, Eagle Point, Medford, Phoenix, Shady Cove), Josephine County, Lincoln City, Lincoln County Areas, McKenzie River Communities, and Santiam Canyon Areas.

Mutual Aid Funds for Wildfire Relief Across West Coast

This is a dedicated page that will be continuously updated for autonomous groups organizing mutual aid disaster relief across the west coast in communities impacted by the ongoing fires.

Oregon Worker Relief and Quarantine Fund

  • The Oregon Worker Relief Fund provides financial support directly to Oregonians who have lost their jobs yet are ineligible for Unemployment Insurance and federal stimulus relief due to their immigration status, and now face hunger, homelessness, and economic hardship.
  • The Oregon Worker Quarantine Fund offers up to $1,290 in financial support to farmworkers who self-quarantine for 14 days after being exposed to COVID-19. 
  • Call 1-888-274-7292 to apply. Navigating organizations include:

COVID-19 Farmworker and Landscaper Rental Relief Fund

OHDC is providing a COVID-19 Rental Relief Fund Program for farmworkers and landscapers with funding provided by Oregon Community and Housing Services. We serve 21 counties in the State of Oregon. Call -1-855-215-6158.

The Oregon Cares Fund

The Oregon Cares Fund provides cash grants to Black individuals, Black-owned businesses, and Black-led nonprofit organizations who have experienced financial adversity due to COVID-19.

Since Time Immemorial Fund (Applications close 9/25)

Recognizing that there is a larger oppressive machine at work which is predicated on disenfranchising Tribes and individual Indian people as well as many others who are a part of marginalized groups, MRG Foundation has established the Since Time Immemorial Fund in an effort to rapidly deploy resources to Tribal communities across the region when opportunity or need arises.

The Red Guide to Recovery

This inter-tribal organization created a curated list of tribal liaisons and contacts at the federal level for Tribes recovering from natural disasters, including wildfires.

Wildfire Recovery Resources for Farm and Woodland Owners – Tualatin Soil and Water Conservation District

Whether you are assessing damage to a woodland property or farm after one of the recent fires in Oregon, or feeling motivated to assess and reduce wildfire risk on your own property, there are many resources for land managers about wildfire preparedness, safety, and recovery.

Oregon Fires 2020 Facebook Group

This group is about information – and the sharing of information related to fires in Oregon.


FEMA COVID19 & Oregon Wildfires Special Populations Community Outreach Program

This FEMA-funded program provides support services to people and communities affected by the Oregon wildfires and COVID 19. This team of dedicated outreach specialists work hard to connect people with resources and community services that ease burdens and foster resiliency. This service is free, confidential, and has no eligibility criteria — anyone who needs support, gets support!

Here are just a few of the connections they make: 

  • Food
  • Housing
  • Childcare
  • Medical care
  • Employment
  • Substance abuse support
  • Domestic violence support
  • Mental and behavioral health services

Beyond helping people meet their needs, their outreach specialists offer one on one emotional support, education about the psychological impacts of disasters, coaching around building an individual’s community networks, and continuity through the process.

If you have clients or community members in mind, they can call Cami Kim at (971) 332-1485 or Rodrigo Restrepo (971) 420-1018, for Spanish, to be connected with an outreach specialist. For immediate emotional support, anyone can call our Safe & Strong Helpline at 1-800-923-HELP (4357) 24/7.

Oregon Health Authority Wildfire Resources

  • Community resources include health information, mental health crisis lines, housing, food, air quality, donations (available in multiple languages)
  • Health info sheets (available in multiple languages)

OHA is proud to launch the Wildfire-Impacted Domestic Well Testing Project on February 1. Please feel free to share this with your statewide networks and let us know if there are partners who we should reach out to. Please help us particularly reach well-users who identify as a person of color, person with disability, person with low-income, or person with limited English language proficiency. We plan to release additional materials, included language-translated content, next week. Curtis, Alyssa, Tiffany, Dave D. and Kim are part of the team who are working to roll this out statewide!

Free Well Water Testing for Wildfire-Impacted Domestic Wells  
The Oregon Health Authority will provide free well water testing vouchers to private or “domestic” well users impacted by the 2020 Oregon wildfires. Applications will be open from February 1 – May 15, 2021 at https://go.usa.gov/xAycC.

Vouchers cover the cost of testing for bacteria, nitrates, arsenic, and lead. Depending on well damage, some may also qualify to test for benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, and xylene as well. Sample collection costs are not covered by OHA.

  • Voucher Eligibility:
    All of the following criteria must be met: 

    • The property was impacted by the 2020 Oregon wildfires
    • The well water is used for things like drinking, bathing cooking and washing dishes
    • The well has 3 or fewer connections and is not part of a regulated water system
  • Priority:
    If demand exceeds supply, OHA will prioritize vouchers for: 

    • Households that meet certain income thresholds
    • Communities that have been historically underserved, including people of color
    • Properties that had the greatest damage
    • Second homes or vacation rental homes will not be prioritized, but may qualify.

The intent of this project is to provide water quality testing resources to those who are recovering their homes from wildfire impacts. Because domestic wells are unregulated, water quality testing is not always accessible to these households. After a fire, testing the well for contaminants is an important step to assuring homes have access to safe water. If a test results indicates high levels of contaminants, OHA will provide safety information and recommendations to the well user. OHA does not regulate private wells.

Department of Human Services Wildfire Resources

Oregon Community Health Worker Association (ORCHWA)

ORCHWA is a unified voice to empower and advocate for community health workers and communities in Oregon.

One Community Health

This Gorge-based healthcare provider offers monthly, bilingual Farm Worker Health Clinics and connections to other community resources for seasonal or permanent farmworkers in Hood River and The Dalles.

Drinking Water Services Emergency Preparedness and Planning – Wildfires



2020 Community Rebuilding Fund


  • The Ford Family Foundation, Meyer Memorial Trust, and Oregon Community Foundation have established the 2020 Community Rebuilding Fund as a place to bring private and philanthropic donations together to work collectively for Oregonians whose communities have been leveled by wildfires this season. 
  • The goal: to gather resources and begin planning for what comes next after the extraordinary devastation brought by wildfires across a state already reeling from the COVID-19 pandemic and consequences of racial injustice.

Additional Contacts

Eugene Water and Electric Board
Email through their website: http://www.eweb.org/contact

Clean Water Services
24 Emergency Response Line: 503-681-3600
To report a problem: 503-681-4400 

Oregon Watershed Enhancement Board:

Get in touch about wildfire relief resources.

Emily Irish


Emily Irish | Partner, Communications
email | irish@willamettepartnership.org
office | 503.946.8646


Banner photo / Clean Water Services